The Shoebox Diorama
Based in The Hague, The Netherlands
Diorama DK2 WIN
This diorama places the visitor on the tower of chairs of the greatest acrobat that ever lived: Der Grosse Gottlieb. Gottlieb built his tower of chairs to reach the stars and try to leave his his aching heart behind. The story of Der Grosse Gottlieb is told through interactive elements in the scene. For example, looking at the stars above you will spawn stars above your head in the corner of your eyes. The visitor will be invited to reach out and grab the stars. Ofcourse the visitor and Gottlieb won't succeed. A Microphone can be used to emphasize the height of the tower. The live audiostream of the microphone can only be heard when the visitor is looking down, if the visitor looks up he will hear the audiostream fade out until the only sound he'll hear is the twinkling of the stars.
The diorama was premièred at the Amaze festival in Berlin (9-11 April 2014) accompanied by a primitive setup. The installation was first shown in it's entirety at W00T Play festival in Copenhagen (30 May - 1 June, 2014). The final setup was showcased at the Akademie der Künste alongside installations by Tale of Tales, Marina Abramovic and Olafur Eliasson (17 Septembre – 14 december, 2014).
- A story is told through interaction with the environment.
- Livestream your audio through a microphone into the virtual World.
- The environment is handpainted on top of 3D geometry allowing for a staggering amount of detail
- A spatial audio system allows the visitor to experience true 3D sound
Installation Turnaround YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection Amaze festival 2014" Blocked In And Der Grosse Gottlieb, 9 - 11 April, 2014
- "Official Selection W00T Play festival 2014" Blocked In And Der Grosse Gottlieb, 30 May - 1 June, 2014
- "Official Selection : Vertigo of Reality" 2 installations in the Akademie der Kunste, 17 Septembre – 14 december, 2014
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About The Shoebox Diorama
The Shoebox Diorama is a one man company that creates interactive illustration for virtual reality devices.
More information on The Shoebox Diorama, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Diorama No.2 : Der Grosse Gottlieb Credits
Creative Director, The Shoebox Diorama
Installation Construction Design, Freelancer